It's World Diabetes Day! 1...
Another month has gone and now we are here in the month of September. So, what does September have in store for us?
Well, of course, is BLOOD CANCER AWARENESS MONTH!!
Photo source: By alex_skp on canva
In light of the awareness month, we will have a series of articles featuring different types of blood cancer. What exactly is blood cancer?
Gif source: Baobaonevertell from Instagram
Blood cancer is a type of cancer that affects the proper physiological function of blood cells. In a normal body, the stem cells inside our bone marrow produce blood cells, such as red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. These blood cells take up approximately 45% of the total blood volume while the remaining 55% of it is the liquid component of the blood, known as plasma. 1
Photo source: Dreamstime.com
Blood cancer occurs when the normal development and production process of the blood cells is disrupted. The uncontrolled growth of abnormal blood cells causes the blood to stop working properly or interferes with the work of the other normal blood cells. In most cases, the cause stems from the mutation of the DNA of the blood cell.2 Blood cancer can be categorised into 2 characteristics -- fast-growing cancer (acute) and slow-growing cancer (chronic). Generally, there are 3 main types of blood cancers, which are leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Based on the data from Globocan 20203, the incidence ranking for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is rank 8, followed by leukaemia at rank 9, myeloma at rank 22 and Hodgkin lymphoma at rank 24. Each type of blood cancer has its own risk factors, symptoms, treatment approach and prognosis.
Photo source: Oncoplus Hospital
Next week, we will talk in-depth about the first type of blood cancer -- lymphoma. Stay tuned and see you at the next article!
A word from DOC2US
If you have any questions related to blood cancer, you can consult our professional doctors and healthcare professionals on DOC2US. DOC2US is a mobile application that allows you to talk to a doctor or any healthcare professionals via text chat at any time and from anywhere. For better communication, you can even send our online doctor images or voice messages related to your medical inquiry.
Download DOC2US app on Apple App Store, Google Play Store and Huawei App Gallery; or use our webchat at https://web.doc2us.com/
Note: DOC2US is not for medical emergencies. In the event of urgent medical conditions, please call 999.
Disclaimer: As a service to our users and general public, DOC2US provides health education contents. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.
It's World Diabetes Day! 1...
Yes! Diabetes can affect o...
Ever felt like having feet...
Diabetes is a growing concern ...
Whether a pregnancy test t...
A toddler blinking hard or fas...
Introducing DOC2US, your personal pocket doctor at your fingertips. With its name synonymous to “talk to us”, DOC2US is a mobile application that allows you to talk to a doctor or any healthcare professionals via text chat at any time and from anywhere.