With the recent need for children to bring hand sanitizers to school due to COVID-19, parents and teachers should also educate their child to not drink it. It may seem a little far fetch but sometimes, it might just be a dare from a friend. Educating them is important in order to prevent alcohol poisoning as well as teaching them how to use it properly (hand rub steps). With that aside, poisoning is mostly accidental in children and can be due to multiple common household items. Every year, around 3 million children, most under the age of 5 swallow or have contact with poisonous substances. Shocking? Therefore, there is always a need to take extra precaution as children tend to take and try things out that are within their reach.
Dangerous potential poisoning items
Cleaning products, detergents, personal care products
Antifreeze, Furniture polish
Windshield wiper fluid, Liquid nicotine
Gasoline, Kerosene and Lamp oil
Poisonous household plants
Use safety latches for drawers and cupboards with potentially poisonous items
Keep poisonous items out of reach for children
Store all medications in containers with safety caps
Always double check the dosage of medication and time of intake for children.
Do notplace poisonous products in food containers
Do not tell children that medicine is ‘candy’ or ‘sweet’ or anything synonymous.
What if my child accidentally ingested something poisonous?
If you catch your child swallowing something poisonous/dangerous for the matter, immediately have them spit it out. Do not force them to vomit it out.
If the substance comes in contact with their eyes, flush it with water for at least 15 minutes.
If they swallowed any form of battery, bring them to the Emergency unit in the hospital immediately. Batteries can react with the inner lining of the digestive tract. Read our article on this here.
If corrosive liquid or poison comes in contact with their skin. Remove their clothes that came in contact with the substance and rinse their skin with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes.
It is always important to keep an eye on your child, not the overly attached kind. It is our job to create a safe environment for them to play and grow up in.
Tell them the WHYs behind the RULES, children do understand when we reason with them.
And be extra vigilant when you bring your child out or when there is a change in environment for example another person’s house or to the stores as things are everywhere and not where they are at home, which creates opportunities for children to grasp potentially poisonous items to play with.
Introducing Doc2Us, your personal pocket doctor at your fingertips. With its name synonymous to “talk to us”, Doc2Us is a mobile application that allows you to talk to a doctor or any healthcare professionals via text chat at any time and from anywhere.